May 1st & College Commitment Decisions

by

Wed, Apr 27, 2011

Admissions

T minus 3 days and counting until the infamous college decision deadline day. If you don’t already know what I am referring to (unfortunate for you) it is the day your deposit is due to your school of choice for the next four years. And I’m here to tell you that if you’ve received an acceptance letter from WPI…

uncle-sam-we-want-you1.blog_teaser

We want you to be a part of the WPI community. We want you to be a part of a school that offers one of the highest returns on investment in the nation. We want you to be happy and would you look at that: students at WPI are some of the happiest in the country, according to The Princeton Review’s “2010 Best Colleges” report.” We want you to make money and conveniently WPI is 7th in the nation among engineering schools for highest starting median salary, and 9th in the nation for highest mid-career median pay among engineering schools. I know I wanted that – what about you?

I also wanted community and a friendly welcoming environment and I found that here. I wanted to be able to have dinner with my professors or meet for coffee to discuss my future plans. I wanted a mentor within the faculty and I wanted to go abroad. I wanted tools to be successful and I wanted challenges to overcome. Lastly, I wanted to have fun. I feel entirely lucky after these four years because I got what I wanted and more. May 1st was just another day for me because I had turned in my deposit long before, but I know it can be a daunting task.

I know a lot (okay maybe not a lot) but I’ve heard stories where students can’t decide by May 1st so they put two deposits down! That’s just crazy! Visit the school, talk to students, DECIDE! You can do it! And if your parents were actually going to pay 2 lump sums, cut a deal with them that you can go on a shopping spree for saving them approx. 500 dollars. Seriously, that’s a lot of money.

So anyway, what are you waiting for? Why are you reading my rants about people who can’t decide where to go – choose your destiny today (wow, that sounded like a commercial) and I promise you won’t regret coming here.

WPI – Office of Undergraduate Admissions |100 Institute Road | Worcester, MA 01609 | is waiting to hear from you!

This post was written by:

avatar

- who has written 54 posts on In Our Words….

Hi all! Welcome to my blog! I'm a senior at WPI studying Management Information Systems, Computer Science and International Studies. I'm from Kingston, MA and on campus, I am a proud member of WPI's women's soccer team and Phi Sigma Sigma (one of three sororities on campus). I am also the secretary of class boards and last year I did my IQP (Interactive Qualifying Project) in Melbourne, Australia for 7 weeks! Boy, do I miss the weather! This year I'll be working with Dynamic DNS to complete my MQP (Major Qualifying Project) and in the spring I'll be saying goodbye to WPI to move into the "real world." Can't think about that quite yet though - must enjoy senior year! Check back often to see how things are going with soccer, MQP, and WPI life in general! :)