My Favorite Part of Finals Week… NO FINALS!

by

Thu, Dec 8, 2011

Academics, Projects

So, it’s that time of term again.  B term is nearing its’ end, and people are figuring out their plans for returning home.  The week of finals is upon us, and the library is filling up.  This will be my last set of finals as an undergraduate – only problem is that I don’t actually have any finals.

I guess it isn’t much of a problem then!  The reason why I don’t have any final exams is because I actually have all final projects.  I love being able to actually apply what we learned and have something tangible for my time spent this term rather than spending hours just memorizing.  It has definitely been a huge part of my experience with WPI working on projects in nearly every single class.  As a senior, my future employer (whom I signed with last week, yay!) won’t care if I can memorize a ton of info if I can’t do anything with it.

It wasn’t until a friend and I were talking the other day that I realized that in my 3 and a half years here, I’ve created approximately 7 small business plans and created 6 patentable ideas and innovations.  Looking back, I should have taken those ideas and pulled a Dean Kamen!  Just kidding… but not really.  For those of you who are not aware, Dean Kamen was the inventor of the segway who never quite completed his degree at WPI because the segway made it so big, and he decided to pursue that instead.

All joking aside, having these awesome projects gives me a lot of comfort in knowing that I’m prepared for whatever industry throws at me.  More than likely, I’ll have some sort of semi-relevant experience to back up my ideas, and that I know that I can accomplish any task I set my mind to.  That being said, time to get back to my MQP….  Happy Holidays everyone!

This post was written by:

avatar

- who has written 3 posts on In Our Words….

Victoria is a Senior at WPI studying Management Engineering concentrating in Operations Management. When not busy studying, you can find her competing with the Ballroom Dance Team, hanging with Gompei and the Student Alumni Society, or teeter-tottering for Diabetes awareness with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta.