Welcome to the WPI Class of 2019!
We are thrilled that you have decided to embark on your college journey here at WPI. We are eager to meet you in August when the fun and excitement begins with your arrival and new student orientation (NSO). We recognize that you are excited to learn about what your first year is going to be like. As WPI students of the Class of 2018, Hannah, Jeremy and Vanessa know those feelings first hand from just one year ago and would like to share their first year experiences and offer some advice.
In approximately 10 minutes, you will feel more ready for your first year at WPI!
Getting Ready for WPI
With the WPI welcome brochure as your guide, you can see that there are a lot of things for you to do prior to arriving on campus. But it doesn’t have to be difficult or overwhelming! Hannah, Jeremy and Vanessa share their top 10 tips to stay on track and talk about how they prepared.
Tips from Students about Getting Ready
- Concentrate on finishing up your senior year with a bang.
- Get excited!
- Connect with your WPI classmates on Facebook: WPI2019.
Once you receive an email in May that contains your PIN for setting up WPI Computer Accounts:
- Set up your WPI email account right away and check it regularly.
- Take the math placement exam before beginning your course planning as it will help you get started.
- Register for classes as early as possible and take advantage of all the tools and guidance provided on the website.
- Check out the clubs and activities offered at WPI (wpi.edu/+getinvolved) that you can explore during the NSO activities fair.
- Get in touch with your roommate(s) before coming to orientation.
- Call or email the Office of First Year Experiences (508-831-6462, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- Relax and enjoy your summer with family and friends.
First Year Experiences
With individual academic paths and personal interests, Hannah, Jeremy and Vanessa have had different first year experiences, but all agree on one thing — while challenging, it has been a very fun first year at WPI! Hear about their different experiences, and take note of their top 10 tips for making the most of your first year here at WPI.
Tips from Students about Making the Most of Your First Year
- Get involved with what you are passionate about.
- Talk to everyone.
- Ask for help whenever you need it and make the most of the resources offered.
- Try something new!
- Make at least one friend in each of your classes.
- If you’re unsure of your major and career path, take initiative to explore job options based on interests you have.
- Meet upperclassmen as they can give you valuable advice, especially if in your major.
- Explore the city of Worcester as there are hundreds of things to do (wpi.edu/+thingstodo).
- Eat meals with different people as it is a great way to make new friends.
- Don’t be afraid to be who you are.