Can I Have More Money?

Filed in Finding a Job by on April 14, 2014

Of course you can…as long as you ask the right questions and at the right time!

Hey everyone,

So guess what? I received an internship offer for the summer! I was so excited because the offer was really good and it was at a big company, directly related to my major. This was an opportunity I really didn’t want to miss, and so I was basically signing papers left and right from them. This was really bad from my part; To be honest, I knew what I was signing but at the same time, I should have taken more time to think about the offer.

Once I joined the CDC, I noticed that one of the workshops/appointments they offer is Job Offer and Salary Negotiation. I took an appointment and went and spoke with one of the Career Counselors, Michelle Cacciapaglia. During the appointment, I realized that I had signed and submitted the offer letter, which meant it would be very hard to negotiate the offer. To my disappointment, I also found out that I could have asked for more benefits, such as either housing, or a housing stipend.

Overall, even though I was a little upset, I don’t mind because I knew that I really wanted that internship position. So, my tip to all of you would be to please take your time and review an offer; Don’t rush and sign the offer just because it is amazing, there is usually room for negotiation.

If you have an offer now, and are wondering about your options: either come to Job Offer and Salary Negotiation Workshop on 4/16 in SL 115 from 5 – 7  pm, or for something more personal, make an appointment on JobFinder and come talk to either David, Maggie, Marie, or Michelle!

Don’t forget to read my fellow Peer Advisor’s blog: Gianna!

Until next week, enjoy the fantastic weather!!

Omesh

Tags: ,

Hi everyone! My name is Omesh Kamat and I am a senior at WPI, majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am also working towards getting minors in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. I am a Senior Peer Advisor at the CDC and I am here to help you and provide you with awesome tips! If you have any questions or suggestions for topics, please feel free to contact me!