Career Fair Networking

Filed in Career Fair by on September 16, 2014

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!!

It’s the week of September 15th, and you know what that means…the Fall Career Fair is only ONE day away! I finished my internship only a month ago and what!? I have to go through the internship application process again? So soon?

Yes! Some companies will actually start to hire interns in the Fall for the summer. These companies tend to be the larger, more well-known companies that hire many interns. So if you want to work for a larger company, I would definitely start looking into the hiring process now!

untitled

But even if your dream company begins the hiring process in the winter or spring, coming to the Fall Career Fair is still extremely beneficial. Why? Well for example, last year at the Biotech Career Fair, I met some contacts at a company I wanted to work for. They did not have the position I was interested in, but they said next summer (this coming summer now) they may start hiring interns in my area of interest. Now at the beginning of this school year, we are in contact with each other about a job! For the full story of how I met this company, check out my past blog An Introduction, a Story, and a Tip. It was a unique way to network!

So while I did not get an internship from that company then, I am in contact for one now. Going to the career fair is a great networking opportunity for not only immediate jobs, but future jobs as well!

So even if you are not looking for a job right now, going to the career fair can help you out in the long run! The more you practice networking with people, asking for career advice, and getting your resume out there, the better off you will be when it comes time to finding a job.

So now, if you are still reading, I hope I convinced you to come to the Career Fair  on Wednesday, Sept 18. Now, you may be asking yourself, how do I prepare or what should I bring? My fellow peer advisor Omesh created an awesome outline some things you can do to prepare for a career fair. Be sure to check it out here!

I’ll see you at the Career Fair!

<3 Gianna

Tags: , , ,

Hey everyone! My name is Gianna Terravecchia and I am currently a senior here at WPI majoring in Chemical Engineering. A few of my favorites include Italian food, ice cream, the color purple, and penguins. I am a Senior Peer Advisor here at the CDC and I am here to help you in any way I can!