I Want a Job Closer to Home…

Filed in From the Staff by on February 11, 2015

Hey Everyone,

Hope you are having a great C term so far! Today I wanted to talk to you about jobs and their locations. Something I have noticed is that since WPI is located in Massachusetts, a lot of the companies that come to the career fair to hire students, are usually from New England. Only a handful of companies have locations outside and are looking to hire students for internship or full time positions.

As for myself, I am from Connecticut, but I still wish I could find more companies and jobs closer to home, so I wouldn’t have live separately over the summer (meaning pay for housing, and worry about making food). In the beginning of C Term, I was made aware of some of the newer resources that the CDC has to offer, and one of them will definitely help you find jobs closer to home!

The resource that I am talking about is Career Shift!! You can get access to this resource by logging in on JobFinder and it should be on the left side bar:

Career Shift

On Career Shift, you can search, select, and also save job listings with criteria such as the type of job, specific keywords (ex: Mechanical Engineering Intern), and location. This website is basically a huge database that takes your search, and looks through job listings from ALL job boards and company websites. Basically, instead of you going to each different website such as LinkedIn or a company website to find a job, you can get access to all of them under one search.

Another awesome thing is that you can also search for just the companies with your specific major or industry of interest and Career Shift has very current and detailed contact information for a lot of the employees that work in that specific company. So, if a company that interests you doesn’t have an internship posted but you would like to work for them, you can email one of their managers and professionally ask if there are any opportunities available.

As part of the WPI community, you get full access to this resource and I think it is fantastic!! I highly encourage each and every one of you to access this website and play around with it, it is very simple to use, and can be extremely helpful.

Hope this helps and thanks again for reading! Until next week,

Omesh

Tags: , ,

About the Author ()

Hi everyone! My name is Omesh Kamat and I am a senior at WPI, majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am also working towards getting minors in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. I am a Senior Peer Advisor at the CDC and I am here to help you and provide you with awesome tips! If you have any questions or suggestions for topics, please feel free to contact me!