The Job Hunt Blues

Filed in From the Staff by on March 2, 2015

Hey Everyone!

I can’t believe C-Term is almost over! Where has the time gone? Finals week is always a joy, especially with all of this snow.

But it’s okay! Spring is going to be upon us before we know it. And with D-Term comes all the fun activities like The Big Show and Relay. I’m so excited.

But with D-Term also comes summer. And with summer comes internships. That is an exciting time for people that have internships, but I am not a part of those lucky few. My luck with job hunting is less than ideal, and its starting to get to me. I keep wondering…what am I doing wrong?

I have had a few interviews, and have even gotten a few rounds into some interviews, but I haven’t landed the job offer yet. And now my confidence and hope is falling a little. If you’re in the same boat as me, you may be thinking…what should I do?

Here are a few things I’m going to do:

1. Get your confidence back up! – This is always easier said than done. But a good job hunter is a confident one. If you feel like you are losing confidence in yourself, try writing a “cover letter” to yourself. What makes you awesome? Convince yourself to hire you. This is a strategy I use often. It may seem silly but it often leads into an actual cover letter.
  2. Change up your job search strategy !- Try using new sites to find jobs. Maybe you’ve used JobFinder to death. Try Career Shift. How about LinkedIn? Maybe make a list of dream companies and send them inquiry letters (asking if they are looking for people even if they don’t have job postings). Network. Try career fairs outside of WPI. Sometimes all you just need a fresh look.
  3. Make a one-on-one job search strategy appointment with a CDC staff member! – I actually have one this week. Sometimes all you need to do is ask for a little help. You can even make an appointment practice interview skills once you land that interview.

Remember: Just because you haven’t gotten an offer doesn’t mean that you aren’t good enough for one! Just remain CONFIDENT and DONT GIVE UP! My dad told me he went through many applications and rejections to get his job. But it only takes one acceptance to get the job!

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to talk about the struggles of finding an internship. Hopefully it will turn from “blues” to “success.”

Good luck everyone!!!!

<3 Gianna

Hey everyone! My name is Gianna Terravecchia and I am currently a senior here at WPI majoring in Chemical Engineering. A few of my favorites include Italian food, ice cream, the color purple, and penguins. I am a Senior Peer Advisor here at the CDC and I am here to help you in any way I can!