How to Look Fresh on LinkedIn?

Filed in From the Staff by on March 6, 2015

Hey Everyone!!

I can’t believe that today is the last day of C term, hope it went well for all of you!

Today I wanted to talk to you about LinkedIn and how important it is to keep your profile updated. Throughout my entire time on LinkedIn (which was D term of sophomore year – April 2014), people kept commenting on how outdated my picture was. I thought it looked fine because it was formal, and it was my high school senior picture.

I decided to check it out once again though, and sure enough it looked like I was very young and the photo looked outdated. This could have possibly driven employers away, especially since it made it seem like I don’t update my profile at all since I first created it.

After that, I kept wanting to change it but never got around to taking a formal picture. Then, right on cue, came the Spring Career Fair, and the CDC was working with the Photography Club to take LinkedIn profile pictures for those who wanted a new, professional looking, updated one. Now this is my profile picture for everything (except Facebook):

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAF2AAAAJDBhZDA2OTgyLTdkMmItNGIxMC05OGVlLTdkNDRlMTczNjk5Mg

Now that C term is over and you have free time during spring break, here are some tips for all of you regarding LinkedIn:

• Make sure that the picture you have on LinkedIn is professional, and only has you. You want to make a good first impression and you also don’t want to confuse the employer as to which one is you in the picture.
  • Endorse others (only if they truly deserve it) because they get a notification, and I have noticed that they usually come back and endorse you for a skill as well.
  • Try to connect with Alumni from WPI or your high school who currently work in the industry or company where you want to work.
  • Update LinkedIn at the end of each term, especially if you did a big project, learned some new skills, or joined a new organization.

Hope that was helpful! Make sure to read Gianna’s blogs as well! Thank you for reading and until next term,

Omesh

Tags: ,

Hi everyone! My name is Omesh Kamat and I am a senior at WPI, majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am also working towards getting minors in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. I am a Senior Peer Advisor at the CDC and I am here to help you and provide you with awesome tips! If you have any questions or suggestions for topics, please feel free to contact me!