Taking a Deep Breath to Start the Year

Filed in From the Staff, Life at WPI by on September 1, 2016

*takes a deep breath*

Ahhhhh do you smell that? It’s the smell of a fresh, new year at WPI!

It’s the smell of opportunity and promise!

*cough cough*

I think I inhaled some debris from Alumni Gym…

For some it’s their first days on campus, and for others, like me, in the near future we will have our last day. With only one year left, one of my major goals is to pass down any advice and information I’ve gathered over the past few years to help younger students develop professionally.

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Matt Murphy and I’m a Senior Peer Advisor at the CDC. I’ve been working here since the end of Sophomore year and I truly love giving back whatever I can to the WPI community, especially in the form of professional advice. Outside of the CDC, I’m working towards a BS in Aerospace Engineering and an MS in Systems Engineering and involved in multiple clubs and organizations across campus.

This summer, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work, again, at Northrop Grumman in Redondo Beach, CA as a Systems Engineering Intern working in the space systems division. Due to trustful managers, I was giving meaningful work that contributed to team goals while having the liberty to explore and learn as much as I could. My internship this past summer was totally perfect and it was a huge weight off of my shoulders when I realized that I found work that will motivate me to wake up everyday and get excited for my job.

Next week I’ll be writing about why my internship was so successful and how to make sure you have as great of a time as I did. Make sure to check it out, I’d love to hear what you think!

Your friendly neighborhood Peer Advisor,
Matt

About the Author ()