The excavation for WPI’s parking garage/athletic field produced some surprises. At some time during the history of the site, it was apparently used as a dump. In 1940, Aldus C. Higgins, Class of 1893, who owned Higgins House, gave the land behind Higgins House extending to Park Avenue to WPI for a new soccer field. The rest of the plot was part of Alumni Field, originally constructed in 1914. The bottles and ceramics, dating from the late 19th century, were discovered by Gilbane Building Company during excavation for the parking garage. Many of the bottles had identifying marks on them and library staff had fun tracking down information about brands and use of the former contents. The bottles have been donated to the WPI Archives and Special Collections and will be on display, along with photos and details of the garage site, in the vestibule of Gordon Library through February 11.