This is a quick guide on how to install EndNote x7 on a Mac. If you have any questions or issues be sure to email us!
Prior to Installing:
Be sure to check operating system requirement from Thomson Reuters. The general requirements are:
- Mac OS X 10.6 and later
- Intel-based Macintosh
- Hard disk with 400 MB available
- Minimum 256 MB of available RAMMac OS X
By the end of installation:
By the end of this guide you will have:
- The desktop client installed on your personal machine
- All of the settings enabled to collect references on and off campus
- Your desktop client will be synced with your online account
Step 1: Acquiring the Desktop Client (the software)
A) Navigate to your desktop and Open Finder, choose Go and Connect to Server. Enter: smb://storage.wpi.edu/software/EndNote/Mac and Hit Connect
Note: If prompted for a username and password, enter admin\username in the username field, and your WPI password in the password field. You should not add @wpi.edu to the username. If you are off campus you will need to be logged into the VPN to access the server more information can be found through the HelpDesk.
B) There will be three versions to choose from, open the v7 folder. Double click on “EndNote X7 Site Installer.dmg” to start the installation process. Begin downloading the file by dragging to the Applications Folder
Note: This process may take a few moments depending on computer and connection speed
Step 2: Configuring the Desktop Client with WPI Settings
A) The first time you open the EndNote X7 you will need to go through the welcome process.
Once the welcome process is complete the client will open.
Note: Continue clicking “next” to complete the installation. Also, you will have to close and quit Microsoft Word before beginning the process.
B) Configuring the settings
- From the tool bar choose EndNote X7 -> Preferences -> Find Full Text
- Enable Open URL (Check box)
- In the OpenURL Field enter: http://au4sb9ax7m.search.serialssolutions.com?
- In the Authenticate with URL field enter: http://ezproxy.wpi.edu/login
WPI Library Catalog
- Download the WPI Library Catalog connection file ftp://support.isiresearchsoft.com/pub/pc/connections/Worcester%20Polytechnic%20Inst.enz
Right click the link to open in a browser.
Note: If the connection file does not download to your designated download location, you will need to right click on the file and choose open with, this will prompt you to choose and application, choose EndNote X7
- Save File to: Applications\EndNote X7\Connections
- File may appear on desktop or in downloads folder file and needs to be dragged/ moved to the EndNote X7 Connections Folder
- Navigate back to EndNote X7 -> Edit -> Connection Files -> Open Connection Manger
- Choose Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Close box
Sync EndNote & EndNote Basic
- Before proceeding through the Sync process you will need to have an online EndNote Basics account for more information regarding this set up see: Creating an EndNote Basic Account
- From the tool bar choose EndNote X7 menu -> Preferences -> Sync
- Note: If your Sync is unable to complete try navigating to the Tools and choosing sync from that list