Rusumazing Today!

Filed in Career Fair, Finding a Job by on February 6, 2014

Today is Resumazing! For those of you that live under a rock and don’t know what that is, it’s when employers come and critique your resume. There’s no pressure like the career fair, they’re here to help you and no matter how bad your resume is they’ll just tell you how to make it better, without the threat of never getting hired by them. Even if you have an updated and critiqued resume you should go, here’s why:

1. Each employer is different, what one will like might be very different than another, so getting another person’s perspective can’t hurt.
  2. Practice talking to employers before the career fair. I mean isn’t that the worst part of career fairs, having to go around and talk to random strangers that seem to hold your future in their hands?
  3. Learn more about the companies coming to the Career Fair, a lot of them will be there today, so finding out what the representative for the company you really want to work for is looking for can go a long way when Feb 20th comes around.
  4. You never know what can happen, if your resume is what they’re looking for there’s nothing stopping them from offering you an interview on the spot, or offering to help you find a place in their company.
  5. Networking, I mentioned this a bit in the points above, but even if they don’t want to interview you on the spot talk to them and ask what they’d like to see on there to make it a top of the pile resume.

Be sure to check out the rest of the CDC workshops leading up to the Career fair:

Job Search for Graduate Students, Monday, 2/10/2014, 1:00 PM-2:00 PM, Higgins Laboratories, 154

LinkedIn Lab, Wednesday, 2/12/2014, 2:00 PM-3:00 PM, Kaven Hall, 203

How To Work a Career Fair Presented by Pegasystems, Wednesday, 2/12/2014, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM, Salisbury Laboratories, 115

How to Introduce Yourself to Employers, Monday, 2/17/2014, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, Salisbury Laboratories, 105

Interview Panel with Avery-Dennison, NASA, Sensata, Unum and Vistaprint, Wednesday, 2/19/2014, 6:00 PM-7:00 PM, Fuller Laboratories, PH-UPR

Spring 2014 Career Fair, Thursday, 2/20/2014, 12:00 PM-4:00 PM, WPI – Sports and Rec Center, Worcester, MA

And check out the other blog posts we have here.

Until next time,

Ahmad

Tags: , ,

Hi everyone, My name is Ahmad. I'm a senior studying Mechanical Engineering. The main thing you should know about me is that I'm kind of weird, and it's fantastic. I like defying people's expectations, and going against social norms. Especially when it comes to careers and personal well being. You say you can't get an internship as a freshmen, I will prove you wrong. They say you can't change your career, I will show you that you can change your career at any point. They say that college is meant to be stressful, and you're supposed to just go with the motions. They say college is the best time of your life, well I beg to differ. The best time of my life should be my last. If there's any topic you want me to talk about feel free to send me an email at aa@wpi.edu (I know it's an awesome email).