Friday December 21 is the winter solstice, the first day of winter. Below are a broad range of readings related to winter.
- Life in the cold : an introduction to winter ecology by Peter J. Marchand
- A guide to wildflowers in winter : herbaceous plants of northeastern North America – keep your eye out when walking in the woods for the yellow blossoms of the witch hazel!
- Winter: from the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau. (view online at Internet Archive)
- Gliding for gold : the physics of winter sports
- What shape is a snowflake? by Ian Stewart – a visually compelling guide to the links between mathematics and the natural world – a beautiful journey through the fields of science, mathematics, history and art.
- Winter hours prose, prose poems, and poems by Mary Oliver (eBook)