A Diverse Narrative from the WPI Community

Solution: I stayed the course, worked much harder, and gave up a lot from my schedule in order to get me to the finish line.

Lloyd Eze
Power Systems Engineering

Did you face unexpected curveballs when looking to attend graduate school? If so, how did you overcome those challenges?
In 2005 I was admitted in Univ of Hartford for a Grad degree in Electrical Engineering but deferred the admission to 2007. Life changing situations would not allow me to start my program in the Fall of 2007. I was patient and focused on my future. Then in 2011, I got into the Fall 2011 Eversource/WPI Cohort program but withdrew after attending the first class three times. That was to help my two older children assimilate into the American society since they just arrived from Nigeria. I remained steadfast, kept focus on my dream. When I finally began my grad program in the Spring of 2019, it was very difficult to cope with the combination of my professional and academic workloads. I stayed the course, worked much harder, and gave up a lot from my schedule in order to get me to the finish line.

What have you been able to achieve since attending/working at WPI?
Acquiring new knowledge acquired from the courses taken, consolidation of my System Protection and Controls skill set and a Master of Engineering degree.

What about WPI has surprised you the most?
Great Faculty and staff and useful programs.

What would you tell someone who is considering graduate school?
Consider applying to WPI if the program is available.

If there’s one word you could use to describe your graduate experience with WPI, what would it be and why?
I was actually challenged day after day, week after week, month after month, semester after semester and finally, year by year until the Capstone project was delivered.