JJ D’Onofrio – Photography and Visual Art

(Public Submission)

Theme: Home

My art has always been an avenue for healing and understanding within myself. The mechanics involved in processing the events in my life are hinged on seemingly innocuous moments that on the surface are without drama or profundity, but which quietly considered through the lens of a camera, provide a connection and deeper understanding of those particular experiences. Creating art is my joy. I truly hope each viewer is able to recognize that joy as well.

On March,13th here in Wisconsin life took a surreal turn as it did across the world. As an artist I felt compelled to process my experience through the prism of my own experience. I allowed my unconscious mind to dictate where I would go to understand the events going on around me and to make sense of them.

Every morning was spent in nature photographing a nesting pair of bald eagles ( a sad irony to me given our political situation ) near my home. I also captured images of various species of woodpeckers, ducks and vertebrates such as deer and foxes. I felt like being in nature grounded me and provided comfort. Real things with no agenda, just a purity of expression.

On the other side of the equation I felt an inward pull to explore the fear, confusion and unease that has defined my inner landscape. I created more intimate portraits of what I thought it looked like not just within my heart but maybe within all of us. Glimmers of light giving way to despair and the darkness of unknowing. Maybe finding that light again in the love of our families and friends. It is an exhausting journey going back and forth but one upon which we all embark guided by faith and hope.