Rod Riek Awarded Merton C. Flemings Award

ACRC member Rod Riek is the winner of the 2015 Flemings award, which is given to individuals who significantly contribute to the commercial application of the solidification processing fundamentals.

Rod has an impressive career. He is currently the principal at Material Insights LLC, a consultancy advising clients in materials and processing related issues, product development, and management of technology development. Rod retired in 2013 from Harley-Davidson Motor Company in Milwaukee, WI, where he was chief engineer for Materials Engineering and Technology Development for 15 years. He has spent the last 40 years in technical management positions in a number of manufacturing companies heavily engaged in materials and materials processing development.

“I feel incredibly honored to receive the M. C. Flemings Award, and I also feel a sense of deep humility when I consider the caliber and contributions of the past Award recipients. These recipients developed much of the fundamental material and foundry processing science that I have relied on for practical industrial application development throughout my career. I have also been truly blessed with the opportunity for learning, collaboration, and friendship with so many colleagues through the years at ACRC.”