2010-2011 Events

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome BBQ

Friday, December 10, 2010

4-5 PM
Stratton Hall 106
“Things I Wish I Had Known as a Math Undergrad: Tips and Tricks from Beyond the Bachelors’ Degree” Jonathan Adler, The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA

Are you a senior in the math department looking for a career in industry? Are you a junior considering a Masters or PhD? In this talk, I will discuss my recent experience in grad school and my time in the real world. I graduated with a BS/MS from WPI, and have worked as an analyst at an ecommerce company and now Boeing. I plan to discuss how to start a career as a math graduate, some of the cool math problems I had never heard about in school, and what life is like beyond WPI.

Pizza and drinks will be available.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1 PM
Stratton Hall 202
Between the Folds

Between the Folds chronicles the stories of ten fine artists and intrepid theoretical scientists who have abandoned careers and scoffed at hard–earned graduate degrees—all to forge unconventional lives as modern–day paperfolders.

As they converge on the unlikely medium of origami, these artists and scientists reinterpret the world in paper, and bring forth a bold mix of sensibilities towards art, expressiveness, creativity and meaning. And, together these offbeat and provocative minds demonstrate the innumerable ways that art and science come to bear as we struggle to understand and honor the world around us—as artists, scientists, creators, collaborators, preservers, and simply curious beings.