Eric Correia, a junior majoring in Mechanical Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI). Over the past summer, Eric has worked as a machine operator at Prattville Machine and Tool Co. in Peabody, MA.
Cameron Peterson, a junior majoring in Robotics and Mechanical Engineering. Cameron recently completed a course where he managed a team of fifteen people. He also is a second year Residential Advisor on WPI’s Campus.
Michael Giroux, a junior majoring in Biochemistry with a minor in Bioinformatics. During this summer, Michael has worked at WPI’s Bioengineering center at Gateway Park, developing new components in the field of Biotechnology.
The Department of Environmental Protection is the Massachusetts state agency responsible for ensuring clean air and water, the safe management of toxics and hazards, the recycling of solid and hazardous wastes, the timely cleanup of hazardous waste sites and spills, and the preservation of wetlands and coastal resources. Within this organization we will be working closely with Fredrick Civian, statewide Stormwater coordinator and Andrea Briggs, deputy regional director of the Mass DEP
Goal and Objectives
In collaboration with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and the Central Massachusetts Regional Stormwater Coalition, we sought to provide the towns of Millbury, Holden, and Southbridge, Massachusetts with a comprehensive analysis of their cost of compliance with the new 2014 MS4 permit. In order to achieve this goal, we:
1) Became educated on the details of the 2003 MS4 Permit and 2014 MS4 Permit
2) Assessed what Holden, Millbury, and Southbridge, Massachusetts have done to meet the requirements of the 2003 MS4 Permit
3) Identified Holden, Millbury, and Southbridge’s total current expenditures for stormwater management
4) Identified what changes each of our subject towns will have to make in order to comply with the requirements of the 2014 MS4 Permit
5) Provided a detailed analysis of the complete costs for each town to comply with the requirements of the 2014 MS4 Permit
6) Created an informational video to explain the costs of implementing the 2014 MS4 Permit