So do I really want to be an engineer anways?

Filed in From the Staff by on February 1, 2011

So as I’m digging through job postings a pretty substancial question has come up: “Do I even want to be an engineer?”. Yeah, there are a lot of really cool engineering jobs, but there also seems to be a lot of other interesting job posting in terms of engineering sales, or buisness, or leadership type tracks. I’ve been trying to figure out where this question is coming from and what my thoughts are on it. I’ve just had so many questions that I’ve been trying to figure out:

• Do I actually really like engineering or am just a little burnt out from the classes I’m in right now?
  • Even if these other posts sound interesting, would I actually really like doing something else?
  • Do I want to be an engineer or am I just determined to be one after all of the time and effort I’ve put into the last four years?
  • If I try out something new, don’t like it, and decided to go back to enigneering am I going to be in an awkward position where engineering companies aren’t as interested in me anymore?

As you can see it’s a lot to figure out and I’m no where close to finding the answer to any of these. But I just have to try not to let all of this confusion push back my job search. I guess at this point the best bet is just applying for everything so I don’t close any doors and then see where that leads me.

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I'm from Andover, MA. I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, and it's my second year as a Peer Advisor for WPI's Career Development Center. I'm also in one of the sororities on campus, Phi Sigma Sigma, and a part of EPICS (Engineering Projects In Community Service). I'm going to be keeping you updated on my senior year and what I'm doing to figure out my life after college (jobs, grad school, etc). Enjoy!