Peer Advisor? More like Pretty Awesome

Filed in From the Staff, Life at WPI by on August 29, 2017

Hey there!

My name is Jess Locke and I’m one of the new PAs with the CDC. I’m a junior working towards a degree in Environmental Engineering.

I actually knew I wanted to be an engineer when I was about ten years old, because my dad is an engineer and I wanted to be just like him. When teachers would ask “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I would shout out “ENGINEER” with pride, even though I had no idea what it even meant to be an engineer. I was later informed that there are many different types of engineers, and that I’d have to choose what kind I wanted to be. Being the man he is, my dad printed out a list of every different type of engineering he could find to help me narrow it down. The second I saw “Environmental Engineering” on the list, my decision was made.

Ten years later, and I’m living my dream here at WPI, studying to enter the field that I love and facing exciting new challenges every day. Even though it might seem like I’ve always been sure of my career aspirations, I owe a lot to the CDC for helping me along the way. From critiquing resume after resume to giving one-on-one personalized support, the CDC has helped me develop a slew of skills that I’ll benefit from for the rest of my life.

Coming this B term, I’ll be starting my next adventure in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where I’m completing my Interactive Qualifying Project. I know that when I return to campus in C term, the amazing CDC staff will be here to help me market my IQP experience to its full potential.

Overall, I’m so excited to be back on campus, and I can’t wait to help guide my peers through some of the incredible resources that have helped me so much.

Jess

Also, here is a validating bunny. Good luck this A term!

bun

About the Author ()

Pronouns: she/her or they/them. I'm an Environmental Engineering major from Georgetown, MA. On campus, I act as a Peer Advisor with the Career Development Center, a Resident Advisor with Residential Services, and a Safety Technician with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. I'm also the President of the Alliance at WPI, and have a passion for social justice and advocacy.