Peer Advisor? More like Pretty Awesome

Filed in From the Staff, Life at WPI by on August 29, 2017 0 Comments

Hey there!

My name is Jess Locke and I’m one of the new PAs with the CDC. I’m a junior working towards a degree in Environmental Engineering.

I actually knew I wanted to be an engineer when I was about ten years old, because my dad is an engineer and I wanted to be just like him. When teachers would ask “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I would shout out “ENGINEER” with pride, even though I had no idea what it even meant to be an engineer. I was later informed that there are many different types of engineers, and that I’d have to choose what kind I wanted to be. Being the man he is, my dad printed out a list of every different type of engineering he could find to help me narrow it down. The second I saw “Environmental Engineering” on the list, my decision was made.

Ten years later, and I’m living my dream here at WPI, studying to enter the field that I love and facing exciting new challenges every day. Even though it might seem like I’ve always been sure of my career aspirations, I owe a lot to the CDC for helping me along the way. From critiquing resume after resume to giving one-on-one personalized support, the CDC has helped me develop a slew of skills that I’ll benefit from for the rest of my life.

Coming this B term, I’ll be starting my next adventure in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where I’m completing my Interactive Qualifying Project. I know that when I return to campus in C term, the amazing CDC staff will be here to help me market my IQP experience to its full potential.

Overall, I’m so excited to be back on campus, and I can’t wait to help guide my peers through some of the incredible resources that have helped me so much.

Jess

Also, here is a validating bunny. Good luck this A term!

bun

About the Author ()

Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers. I'm an Environmental Engineering major from Georgetown, MA. On campus, I act as a Peer Advisor with the Career Development Center, a Resident Advisor with Residential Services, and a Safety Technician with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. I'm also the President of the Alliance at WPI, and have a passion for social justice and advocacy.