Hi all!

Filed in From the Staff by on August 30, 2011

Hi all,

My name is Ally Bernard and I am a senior Management Engineering Major. I am also a Peer Advisor at the CDC. I will be sharing my experiences with you as I search for a full-time job this year. Hopefully you can learn from some of the mistakes I’ve made with job search procrastination and my new proactive approach this year.

I was lucky enough to find an internship this past summer through the CDC’s JobFinder website. In addition to the invaluable experience gained, I am now able to enter my senior year knowing that I would like to enter the Health-care industry. To further cement my belief that Health-care is the industry for me, I’m doing my MQP in the same field. Internships are a great way to see how you like real world applications of your major. Sure, MQPs provide a similar experience, but often times you can shape your project to your own interests. Internships allow you to be part of something much larger than yourself and hopefully see your contributions and feel the satisfaction from them.

Part of my proactive approach to senior year is to meet with the CDC counselors early in the term about a resume critique and job search strategies. I am happy to report that I have done both of those already. I now have more information about finding a full-time position and a resume to showcase my achievements. The counselors were very helpful and I will be making my next appointment to work on my cover letter very soon. That’s all I have for now, but I’ll be keeping you updated as the Career Fair draws nearer. I hope everyone has a fantastic first full week of class!

About the Author ()

Hello everyone! My name is Ally Bernard and I am from Spencer, Ma. I am a senior Management Engineering major with an Operations Management concentration. In addition to being a Peer Advisor at the CDC, I am involved in my sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, the Institute of Industrial Engineers, the Student Alumni Society, and the 2012 Class Board. I’ll be sharing my jobs search with you with year, including the many things you need to do in preparation.