Life After WPI

Filed in From the Staff by on April 12, 2011

So I’ve been thinking a lot about Graduation and what happens after that. I attended the Life After WPI Panel last week and the alumni who came back definitely gave me a lot to think about. I was really happy to hear how happy they all were with their new lives. I think I’m definitely going to like the 9-5 thing. I would absolutely love to come home in time to make dinner and not have hours worth of homework haning over my head. They also pointed out some of the challenges you may face – like working in a department that isn’t especially welcoming or having to make plans in advance if you want to see your friends. I definitely take for granted how easy it is to see all of my friends now that we’re basically within walking distance from each other. I know I will be able to keep in touch with them, but it’s going to take work. It was also interesting to see the range of situations these alumni were in. For example, two of the students graduated last year and one was living at home considering buying furniture to get an apartment sometime and the other was engaged and had already bought her first house. I’m very interested to see where I end up…but I guess I”m just going to have to wait and see. I know May 3rd is actually coming up really quickly, but it feels like a long time from now. It’s overwhelming to think about all of the things that I need to get accomplished between now and then. I know a number of my peers are really nervous about what life will be like after college, but I’m excited about it. I’m not exactly sure what to expect, but I’m ready to take on the challenge.

About the Author ()

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I'm from Andover, MA. I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, and it's my second year as a Peer Advisor for WPI's Career Development Center. I'm also in one of the sororities on campus, Phi Sigma Sigma, and a part of EPICS (Engineering Projects In Community Service). I'm going to be keeping you updated on my senior year and what I'm doing to figure out my life after college (jobs, grad school, etc). Enjoy!