Family Dinner + A Little Luck = Networking Session

Hey Everyone!

So last weekend, I went home to visit my parents. They had planned to go out with some friends, and “go out” in my house typically means free food, so I asked if I could tag along. My parents said yes, joking that I was interrupting their date.

When we got there, the restaurant was packed! I swear my parents know everyone in my town. They where introducing me to people left and right. It was a typical adult-college student kind of conversation…”What school do you go to?” “WPI.” “Oh I know someone that graduated from/goes to/is going to go there. Do you know…?” “Oh the name sounds familiar but I’m not completely sure……”

I’m sure you have had some sort of similar conversation with your parent’s friends.

But during the evening I had a really nice conversation with this one family. They were talking to me about my recent IQP trip to South Africa just as the hostess called my parents name for out table. Wrapping up the conversation, the man I was talking to asked, “Hey! What major are you? My company loves hiring WPI students.”

Little did I know, he holds a very high position at a pharmaceuticals company. Ant currently I am VERY interested in pursuing a career in pharmaceuticals. He gave me his contact number and told me to pass along my resume to him when he got a chance.

I left the spontaneous dinner trip with a (very) full stomach, a new contact, and a little boost in confidence.

Needless to say, networking can happen anywhere! Knowing people is often the way you land a job/internship offer.

Until next time. Keep on networking!

<3 Gianna

Also – check out my previous blog about networking.

And need networking tips? Check out the CDC’s Networking Tipsheet.

About the Author ()

Hey everyone! My name is Gianna Terravecchia and I am currently a senior here at WPI majoring in Chemical Engineering. A few of my favorites include Italian food, ice cream, the color purple, and penguins. I am a Senior Peer Advisor here at the CDC and I am here to help you in any way I can!