Hello from a new Peer Advisor

Filed in Finding a Job, From the Staff, Life at WPI by on April 28, 2015

Hello, everyone!

My name is Kayla Mulready, and I am one of the newly hired Peer Advisors! Along with Matt and Jacky, I am currently in training for the 2015 to 2016 school year. I am super excited to start officially working as a Peer Advisor in A term. What I’m most looking forward to is welcoming the class of 2019 and teaching the new students how to make the most of the Career Development Center. Helping with FY1800, the Discovering Majors and Careers class, is also sure to be a rewarding experience!

Here’s a little bit about myself… I’ve worked at the CDC since the second week of my freshman year. Up until now, I have worked at the front desk – one of the first faces you would see when you come in. After D term, I’ll no longer be a front desk student worker – a bittersweet goodbye because I’ll still be working right down the hall! I’m currently a sophomore majoring in Actuarial Mathematics. Although not a super popular major here, WPI has a great Actuarial program and I absolutely love it. I’m definitely sure that I’ve found the right major for me! Actually, just the other day I was elected to be the Actuary Club Treasurer for next year. I am also a sister of Chi Omega and hold a position called Director of Career and Personal Development. So even in Chi O, I’m always talking about the CDC!

My first piece of advice to you is to make use of the wonderful resource that the Career Development Center can be during your job search. The Career Counselors here are absolutely wonderful, and they really care about your success! Not only will they critique your resume and cover letters, but they’ll talk you through different ways to conduct your job search, how to always present yourself professionally, negotiating a job offer, and so much more! You should never be afraid to make an appointment or drop by for a walk-in… the CDC is here for students like you.

The job search is not always easy, and sometimes it takes a lot of rejections before you’re offered a job. That’s what happened to me this year. I applied to approximately 30 positions that I was qualified for, but was unsuccessful up until a few weeks ago. Just when I thought I wouldn’t have a major-relevant job this summer, I went to a networking event and found the perfect one! After an application, several e-mails, and two interviews, I was offered the position! I couldn’t be happier, and I’m so glad I didn’t give up! If you haven’t found a summer internship yet, keep looking! Make an appointment at the CDC for Job/Internship Search Strategies to hear about some new tips and tricks that might help you land the perfect position!

Have a great summer and look out for more of my blogs next term!

-Kayla