The Rejection

Filed in From the Staff by on October 2, 2015

Man rejected

Rejections hurt. That is just the straight honest truth. As WPI students, we are used to being the best. Many of us were first or second in our class in high school. Many of us have been on the Deans List for many terms and have become very involve in extracurricular activities. For many of us, failure is not a common thing.

So the first time you are rejected from a job, its terrible. You think back to the interview, analyze every possible second of the conversation, try to figure out why you weren’t good enough.

But here’s the thing. A lot of the times, it has nothing to do with you. Companies are looking for certain things. Some companies will fill the job based on a specific skill someone has. Others will fill a job based on a referral. Sometimes, there was a candidate out there that was just plain better than you.

But keep your head up and try again. Think about coming to the CDC for some practice interview sessions. Keep a positive attitude and try not to let it get to you. My father told me that he sent out about 40 job applications, just to get about the same amount in rejections. But he persevered and ended up getting a job that he has stayed at for a long time!

Good luck everyone!!! I know job searching is tough. Stick with it, ask for help, and everything will work out!

Until next time,

<3 Gianna

Hey everyone! My name is Gianna Terravecchia and I am currently a senior here at WPI majoring in Chemical Engineering. A few of my favorites include Italian food, ice cream, the color purple, and penguins. I am a Senior Peer Advisor here at the CDC and I am here to help you in any way I can!