Career Fair and Interviewing

Filed in From the Staff by on February 23, 2011

Overall I was fairly happy with how the Career Fair went. I got to talk to a few companies I was really interested in. My only complaint: the long lines! I definitely waited in one line at least 12 people deep to talk to one company. However, the conversation was definitely worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now I’m worrying about interviews. I have one tomorrow and there are a lot more steps involved than I thought. Last night I had to fill out a very detailed history of my school, and work, and provide enough personal information and references so that they could provide background checks. Then, tonight, there was a “Meet & Greet” with employees and recent WPI alums working there. I really enjoyed this part exactly. It was a really relaxed way to get to know people and hear a lot of first hand experiences. I love that I’m getting the chance to ask questions and hear personal experiences so I really know what I’m getting myself into. I’ve had some scary surprises in jobs in the past; One summer I signed up to be a math tutor and some how got roped into teaching the ukulele as well to a bunch of 12 year olds. (I had never even seen one before). So, needless to say, I don’t want a surprise like that in my Career. Tomorrow is the actual interview. I know that I have an hour long “assessment test” on the computer, and then two 30 minute interviews. I’m a little anxious, but not too worried. I’m looking up possible interview questions tonight so I ย can be prepared if I get asked them tomorrow.

However, even though I’m excited about interviewing, I’m trying to remember that I need to keep looking for jobs. It’s smart to look for a variety of opportunities and not to just put all of your eggs in one basket.

Best of luck to everyone else interviewing this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I'm from Andover, MA. I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, and it's my second year as a Peer Advisor for WPI's Career Development Center. I'm also in one of the sororities on campus, Phi Sigma Sigma, and a part of EPICS (Engineering Projects In Community Service). I'm going to be keeping you updated on my senior year and what I'm doing to figure out my life after college (jobs, grad school, etc). Enjoy!