Interviewing Frustrations

Filed in From the Staff by on October 28, 2010

Okay, so after the Career Fair a company contacted me about having an interview. I was really excited about it because this would be my first interview for a full time job. However, I’ve run into so many problems trying to meet with them that I’m not really excited at all.

When the HR contact first asked about interviewing availability, I suggested we meet over October Break. I figured that’d be the best time to meet because I wouldn’t have to skip any classes or activities and I would be less stressed because I’d have no homework to do. We originally scheduled for mid week, but then she contacted me asking to move it to that Monday. I contacted her again the week before confirmation the date, time and location. I got a response Sunday night saying it was a good thing I had sent that email because everyone I supposed to meet wtih would be out on Monday. So now we rescheduled for the first Monday in November. I asked for an early interview and she suggested 2:30. I can’t win. I accepted anyway because I figured actually meeting with them would be way better than trying to find another time considering everything that had happened before. Now I’ll just have to talk to my professors about classes I miss that day and find a way to actually get there because I don’t have a car on campus.

On top of that, I can’t help but feel a little bit jealous of everyone I know who has more definite interview schedule or even has numerous interviews lined up. A few people I know already have jobs and it’s only October….

I know I can figure it out. Hopefully this interview will go well and as I keep applying for jobs, I’ll get additional interviews. I was able to apply to a bunch of companies over break, and have a list of other people I still need to contact. No one said this would be easy.

About the Author ()

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I'm from Andover, MA. I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering, and it's my second year as a Peer Advisor for WPI's Career Development Center. I'm also in one of the sororities on campus, Phi Sigma Sigma, and a part of EPICS (Engineering Projects In Community Service). I'm going to be keeping you updated on my senior year and what I'm doing to figure out my life after college (jobs, grad school, etc). Enjoy!