A New Year!

Filed in Life at WPI by on August 29, 2013

Welcome back everyone, or welcome to WPI if you’re a new student. My name is Ahmad, I’m a Peer Advisor for the CDC. I’m a junior (though sometimes I still think I’m a freshman), I’m majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

As you all hopefully know A-term started today. And despite being busy out of my mind this summer I don’t want to go back to classes. Today was the first time I went to class in nine months. No I wasn’t sick all C and D terms I was doing a co-op, starting in winter break until mid-July.

It was an amazing experience, I learned more than I ever could in a classroom, and learned things I liked and disliked about my major. I came into WPI unsure about my major, Robotics Engineering at the time, and it wasn’t until I took FY 1800 Discovering Majors and Careers, that I found out that Mechanical Engineering was the right major for me. It wasn’t until my co-op though that I knew that being a Mechanical Engineer was also the right career for me. I’ll write a post later about my co-op experience and all the things I learned.

I was also able to get a month off before coming back to the craziness that’s WPI. I went to Jordan, and it was honestly the first time since last summer that I had nothing to do. It was amazing, not having to wake up at 6 AM to drive to work, or study for a class or anything like that. Of course being a WPI student I couldn’t resist not doing anything. I started writing again, which is something I used to do before WPI and work took over my life. I ended up with a 65,000 words YA novel in the three weeks. It’s still a first draft though, and whether I edit it or not remains to be seen, but nevertheless I’m very proud of it.

My goal for this year is to get an internship, survive classes, maybe write a little bit, and enjoy life even more. I’ll chronicle how I’m going to do all that in my future posts, so be on the lookout. My experiences might just be what you or someone you know needs to reach their own goals.

Until next time.

-Ahmad

Tags: ,

About the Author ()

Hi everyone, My name is Ahmad. I'm a senior studying Mechanical Engineering. The main thing you should know about me is that I'm kind of weird, and it's fantastic. I like defying people's expectations, and going against social norms. Especially when it comes to careers and personal well being. You say you can't get an internship as a freshmen, I will prove you wrong. They say you can't change your career, I will show you that you can change your career at any point. They say that college is meant to be stressful, and you're supposed to just go with the motions. They say college is the best time of your life, well I beg to differ. The best time of my life should be my last. If there's any topic you want me to talk about feel free to send me an email at aa@wpi.edu (I know it's an awesome email).