IT’S OVER!!

Filed in Finding a Job by on September 20, 2013

Hello Everyone,
Career Fair is Over! Midterms are Over! Now we can get back on track with our lives, we’re done.tumblr_mqmau1NapU1r0q82yo1_500
Not so fast… Unfortunately tests will never be over, and job searches are just beginning.

First, remember to send out thank you notes to everyone you met during the career fair, if you need help finding contact info for the people you talked to come down to the CDC and we’ll help you out.
We also have this great event coming up:
Thank You Note Writing, Monday, 9/23/2013, 5:00 PM-6:00 PM, Salisbury Laboratories, 402

Two, interviews are coming up fast, be sure to check out this awesome workshop:
How to Interview, Tuesday, 9/24/2013, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, Salisbury Laboratories, 305

Three or two, depending who you ask, informational sessions are EVERYWHERE! So many companies are coming to talk to you about what they do, check out at least a few, you might win a raffle prize, and you may win the jackpot which is getting a JOB!
I went to Tyco’s information session last night and it was amazing, talked to so many managers my head is still spinning, but now I know I want to apply to Tyco.

The last thing I want to touch on is what to do in an Information Session, because I wasn’t really sure until last night.

What to wear? Dress up with the occasion and stand out, it’s better than going too casual and being the only one without a suite on. For guys a polo and dress pants or even dark jeans are fine, but why not go all the way and wear a suit.
Who to talk to? Everyone. They’re there to give you information, which you need, about their company, so why not take advantage of that.
I would like to point out that with the normal employees, usually engineers, since this is WPI, don’t ask about how to apply, or logistics about their positions. They probably don’t know the answer and it’s a conversation killer. Instead ask them about the company, what they do there, and where you’d fit in the company. Talk to HR representatives about internships, or full time positions, and how to apply. They can help you with all the logistics, and are most likely to take your resume. Of course every company is different, so this might not be true for every company.

Why should you go? Everyone tells you to research companies before interviews and before career fairs. So why waste time on google when you can go talk to employees in person and make that one on one connection with them? Of course you should still know a little bit about them, but the whole point of an infor session is to give you info, but unlike googling things this might actually lead to a Job.

If you have any questions feel free to email the CDC Peer Advisors at cdcpeeradvisors14@wpi.edu and check out blogs from the CDC staff:  SamEmily and Sebastian!!

Good Luck with Everything!

Ahmad

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author ()

Hi everyone, My name is Ahmad. I'm a senior studying Mechanical Engineering. The main thing you should know about me is that I'm kind of weird, and it's fantastic. I like defying people's expectations, and going against social norms. Especially when it comes to careers and personal well being. You say you can't get an internship as a freshmen, I will prove you wrong. They say you can't change your career, I will show you that you can change your career at any point. They say that college is meant to be stressful, and you're supposed to just go with the motions. They say college is the best time of your life, well I beg to differ. The best time of my life should be my last. If there's any topic you want me to talk about feel free to send me an email at aa@wpi.edu (I know it's an awesome email).